We had a fun time celebrating Saint Patrick's Day. I found a great video on You tube that was done by Veggie Tales that explains the life of St. Patrick and was very engaging. The kids both enjoyed watching that. We tried to have green meals all day and we did a few crafts too.
We started with green eggs. Isabella loved mixing the food coloring in and she enjoyed the novelty of green eggs.
Jack was not pleased at all
He demanded "yellow eggs" immediately! I don't blame him really, even though I know it is food coloring I find it completely unappetizing. However I did eat his green eggs and made him some yellow ones. He was quite pleased to have the right color eggs.
Isabella mixed up some green milk for lunch for herself.
For lunch we made macaroni and white cheese and then added green food coloring to make it green. We also had peas and broccoli and green grapes.
At first all Jack would eat is the green peas. He doesn't care for broccoli but will eat frozen peas. He had never seen green grapes (we always get red) so he was suspect of the grapes and mac and cheese.
Having learned from the early morning refusal, I held some mac and cheese aside that we didn't color. He demanded "yellow mac and cheese." I also had to give him a whole grape to prove that these green grapes really exist in nature. Then he gobbled them up.
For dinner we had breakfast and tried to incorporate some Irish food by making Corned Beef Hash and eggs and we made these shamrock biscuits out of the some store bought biscuit dough. These were great because they took only a few minutes to put together.
We made up some green sugar and Isabella sprinkled them with it.
They turned out great!
We also colored a color page that Isabella's cousin Grace drew and then my sister Kate made in to a color sheet on her computer. Isabella loved it and loved that Grace had made it for her.
We also painted a wooden shamrock we picked up at the craft store and we talked about how the shamrock was like the trinity (3 in 1) She really liked that. It was fun and I was happy we were able to really celebrate St. Patrick instead of just the Irish.
I love all the pictures of Jack and Bella. They are getting so big! I don't blame Jack for not wanting to eat green food...yuck! I do think it's hilarious about the grapes. He is some kid:) Isabella is becoming quite the ar-tiste! We were feeling so awful last week I didn't even realize it was St.Patrick's day until that evening....looks like you guys had a lot of fun though!! Miss you!
ReplyDelete