Thursday, August 21, 2008

Meeting our new doctor

Yesterday Nick and I went to our first appointment with the specialist and really liked him. He gave us a plan for how we are going to approach our problem of recurring miscarriage. He is mostly going to do a ton of blood tests and then next week I am going to have a saline histogram which is an ultrasound where they use salt water in the uterus to look for abnormal things in the uterus such as fibroids or adhesions. The blood tests are going to look for things like abnormal chromosomes that Nick or I could be carrying, immune system issues (like where my body may be attacking the baby), abnormal blood clotting which could prevent good blood flow into the uterus, and he is going to test my thyroid and some other hormones. He said he is going to put me on progesterone as a matter of course. There are some studies that have been done that showed that in two groups of women with recurrent miscarriage that the ones that were given progesterone had less miscarriages than the ones that did not take it, so they just give it as a matter of course. There is apparently no reliable test if it is a progesterone issue. But if this is the issue it can lead to an inadequate development of the lining of the uterus which can lead to early miscarriage. He said we have a very good chance of having a successful pregnancy in the future, especially since we already have Isabella. I hope that the next time we get pregnant it will end with a baby. I will update as we get the results from all the tests.

No comments:

Post a Comment